Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What's Behind the Name

Everytime I call people by their names, I've always wondered what's the story behind the name. Especially if it's a nick name or even their middle or last name. Let me tell you about mine.


In an effort to make a little extra money, I signed up to be a substitute teacher in Davis County. My first day was at Viewmont High School in Bountiful. It was in the weight lifting and gym class. (A class I should have and still should be taking) When the first students arrived I realized, I have to introduce myself. What name do I use? Do I just introduce myself as Jimmy or do I need to be more professional and use Mr. Kaholoaa? As more students rolled in they stared me down. I got the famous, yea a substitute teacher. Their looked changed a little and thought this is not the substitute teacher we're used to. He's not a scrawny nerdy wanna be teacher who forgot to brush his hair before he came. This guy is huge. One of the more brave students peaked out of the crowd and said the inevetable question, Hey what's your name? I looked him straight in the eye and said, "My name is Jimmy Kaiwaokalanikeawepuhikinaokamalamalamaonalani Kaholoaa. (Yes I added a few more vowels) Actually I combined my middle name and a friends middle name. After he picked up his jaw from the ground he said, "that sounds like a Chief's name". I said as a matter of fact I am a Chief of a small village. As the students sat there in amazement they said, we'll call you Chief. After a couple of months of subbing for this teacher, he left to be a principal at another school so I was asked to finish the school year at Viewmont. I became close to some of the kids and till today in thier middle 20's they still keep in touch with me. Still not having any idea what my real name is they call me Chief.


Gigi is another nick name I am most known for. Mostly by family, they called me Gigi the very first day I was born. When my older brother would say Jimmy it sounded like Gigi. I was called Gigi before I could even say it. Speaking of Jimmy, I was named after my Maternal Grandfather James Pok Su Han. I hated the name Jimmy. Especally on the first day of school. When the teachers would call roll on the first day they would ALWAYS say, "now is your name really Jimmy or is it James or Jim". I would get so irritated and I would say "I would perfer you call me what's written on your paper. Why would my parents put one name on the paper if my name is somthing else." They would say "Gee Gigi I was just asking" Yeah everyone on Molokai knew me as Gigi.


Now let me break down the Hawaiian names. My middle name is
Ka=the

iwa=type of bird-Frigate or man-of-war bird (Fregata minor palmerstoni); it has a wing span of 12 m. Fig., thief, so called because it steals food by forcing other birds to disgorge; also used figuratively for a handsome person, as follows: Kīkaha ka ʻiwa, he lā makani, poises the frigate bird, a windy day [of a handsome person who draws attention, as does the ʻiwa bird poised aloft]. Ka ʻiwa ālai maka, the frigate bird that fascinates the eye [an attractive person]

o=of

ka=the

lani=Heavens



What can I say my mother knew me from the begining. Kaiwaokalani=the attractive person that soars in the Heavens.


The last name says it all. I have no idea how far back the name goes put I know it fits me well

Ka=The

holo=To run, sail, ride, go; to flow, as water; to slide, as an avalanche

aa=aa is a type of lava. Aa flows are emitted from the vent at high rates ranging to 50km an hour, often with much lava fountaining. They may push down houses, walls and forests. However, the hallmark of aa lava flows is the very rough surface it produces when it cools and solidifies.


In short, Kaholoaa means the flowing lava or in other words I'm very nice to look at but cross me or touch me and it's going to hurt.

What's behind your name?

4 comments:

Steffani said...

Well "Chief" it's good to know that you have a blog too! I thought it was just Mashelle. I will add you to my list of blogs. See you at the reunion!

Young Family Adventures said...

This is a great post!! I have always wanted to ask sometime the tradition or background of your names/kid's names & how they are passed down or given ... but just never enough time to sit & visit very long!! Really cool to know!! Thanks!! Also - loved your post about substituting!! How could kids not love ya!! I bet you were their favorite teacher!! Take care!!

Dave said...

My name, David, in English means, well... David. My last name, Norman, in English means nothing, but in Norweigan it means, "flowing lava butt kicker!". Huh, funny, I just got that! ;-)

Dave said...

By the way, you forgot to mention your best nickname, Kaloloaa! I think your favorite, most handsome and witty mission companion coined that term!