Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It's Aloha Friday!


Working for Delta Air Lines for almost 13 years has giving me the edge to call Tuesdays my Friday having Wednesdays and Thursdays off. You have to have at least 20 years to have partial weekends off. Lucky me. Most of you know I work at the ticket counter at the airport. I have the awesome privilege of dealing with the general public which majority of them tend to leave their brains at home before coming to the airport. Every single day I experience something that makes me say “what are these people thinking”. So I thought on my Fridays I’ll share the best story of the week. Believe me we get a good one every day. To help you make your check-in experience more smooth and quick let me share with you a few rules my friend and I came up with to help you at the DELTA ticket counter.

1) If you’re ticket says your flight is operating by another carrier don’t come to Delta. Go to the operating carrier.
2) If you're running late the plane WILL NOT wait for you. When you’re not there I cannot see your watch so I have to use mine. So don’t say “oh but my watch says I’m not late.
3) If you miss the plane due to you running late, it is NOT the airlines fault and don’t expect us to put you in front of the line.
4) Yeah we charge for the 2nd bag..build a bridge and GET OVER IT. Somebody has to pay to send your extra bags and we don’t want to anymore.
5) My supervisor and those higher than me are the ones who make the rules, so asking to speak to them is not gonna do you any good.
6) You will need a valid ID to fly (you will be surprised how many people don't think they need one)
7) Valid means NOT EXPIRED!
8) If you are flying on an International flight, (leaving the country and going into another country), stand in the international line. We don’t care how many stops or where you are stopping first we only care about you’re destination. And most important you will need a VALID passport. With your CORRECT name on it.
9) Yes, Canada is another country.
10) No, Hawaii is not in another country if you weren't aware and therefore you will not need a passport to enter. (People really are this dumb) Side note: Don’t ask me if I was born in Hawaii and the very next question is “So how long have you been here in the United States” Yes I get that every day.
11) Travel Agents or Online Travel Services are usually not the best...if they mess up it's not MY fault.
12) When booking a reservation double check your flight times, there is a difference between AM & PM
13) Make sure you look at Departure time not Arrival time or you will miss your flight.
14) If you are in the SELF-SERVICE kiosk area, it is exactly that. You do everything yourself...we don’t have people there to help you. The best way to use it, READ, and most importantly, FOLLOW the instructions on the screen. And for you who can’t read we even have a video to show you what to do. Again, I don't make up the rules.
15) Don't complain when I can't help you and think I have bad customer service skills...you chose to do the SELF-SERVE check in. We do have FULL-SERVICE check-in where an agent will check you in...just read the signs!
16) The comment "I will never fly DELTA again" doesn't bother me a bit! We'd rather have "your kind" fly with the another carrier.
17) And I'll bet if you do go to the other airlines, their policies are going to be the exact same thing...because airlines usually copy each other.
18) 50 pounds is the MAXIMUM which means 51 is overweight and I will charge you.
19) If you are nice to us we will be nice to you. Which means if you are RUDE to us, we will be RUDE right back and our supervisors don't care. When you are rude we suddenly remember all the restrictions and charge you for every little thing we can.
20) Most Important thing to remember: Be careful what you do or wear in public because all the agents have camera’s on their cell phones. We will take your picture and put it on the Internet. That’s a fact.

What was this guy thinking?

Here's today's story.

This lady comes up to me really irritated waving a paper practically in my face and says "If you guys want us to use the Kiosk, Delta should put all the information we need to use the Kiosks on the itinerary, Look at this paper! do you see any confirmation or ticket number?" After looking over the piece of paper I passed it back to her and said. "Ma'am, that's not an itinerary, that's your phone bill. She felt so stupid she took the paper out of my hand and walked away.

I love working for Delta Air Lines however. I can fly anywhere Delta flies for free whenever I want. Especially home to Hawaii. Ah when I have money to stay there that is.

11 comments:

The LaMont Family said...

Hi Jimmy! Love your blog...hilarious!! Have a great day!

Steffani said...

That's too funny! You make me laugh! Now I am terrified to fly because I don't want to forget one of the rules and look dumb:)

Fauatea's said...

hey...i couldn't stop rolling about your story for the day...and the freckin picture!!! that was too good...k see you at work

Hansen Family said...

Who took your picture? The funny thing about that story is, I could see you doing something just like that.

Jenny Bebel said...

Hey Jimmy chris has the same days off as you so Tuesdays are his Fridays too. I love you little comments i'm sure chris could add a few more to yours!

Desiree said...

Ha Ha! I love it!

Dave said...

Aaaa, thanks a lot! I have that same shirt in yellow and orange!

Jenna Kaholoaa said...

You need to add me to your list father!!!!!

Wanna be farm girl said...

Jimmy! you kill me!!! I haven't laughed this hard all week...ok all month!!!! Thanks I needed it!!!!

Maria said...

Jimmy, this is Maria Peck from the Branch. I LOVED your rules. Nate (my husband) flies a lot (on Delta)and complains about the same stuff. People are crazy. Loved the story and the picture. Thanks for the laugh.

Amber and Jared said...

Jimmy where are you? Your fans have been waiting for a good laugh!!!!!